6 Aug 2006

The Best Day to List on Ebay

There are many opinions of the best time, day and period to list items on Ebay.

When I attended the Adam Ginsberg seminar last year, Adam preached it was best to list for a three day period in order to turn over inventory faster. His opinion was that most people look at the "time ending soonest" auctions on Ebay meaning the length of time the item spends on Ebay is really not important.

Each seller has their own method that works for them. My method has always been to list on a Thursday evening for a 10 day period. This means that my listing is viewable over two weekends and ends on a Sunday evening when most people are at home and able to place a bid. A 10 day listing will also generate a high watch list allowing the item to secure a place on Ebay Pulse which inturn offers greater exposure for the item.

My last few listings have ended mid week during the day. I have found midweek listings quite unsuccessful. For instance, my recent bulk jewellery lot finished on a Friday lunch time. This listing had 23 watchers but no competition on the final day. My theory is that most of the 23 watchers were at work, unable to place a bid and not thinking about that great item on Ebay that was about to end. A more appropriate finish time would have been Saturday or Sunday evening. Subsequently I lost a fair amount of money on this jewellery auction however good luck to the winning bidder "Kevin" as he scored a great deal.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Lisa, as a buyer on eBay I often look out for items finishing say on a weekday at 10am. I can pick up a bargain. As a seller can i also say to watch out for public holiday long weekends.

Unknown said...

Thankyou for your comment! Much appreciated. Definately bargains can be found on public holidays, weekdays and school holidays.